Technical Seminar: Is "Non-ionizing Radiation Surrounding You" a problem?
By Ir Angel Wong
The captioned seminar was jointly organized by the Manufacturing and Industrial Division of The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE-MI), Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering Section of The IET Hong Kong (IET-MIES), and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC). It was held on 26 January 2018 at the HKIE Headquarters with over 90 participants attended.
The speaker, Mr LAM Wui Ting from the EMC Centre of the Hong Kong Productivity Council firstly explained the differences between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation as significantly increase in the availability and adoption of electronic and wireless devices for both personal and industrial use has led to the increase in awareness of health hazards associated with exposure to non-ionizing radiation. Mr Lam then showed some news clipping and videos related to non-ionizing radiation incidents and further demonstrated some non-ionizing radiation on-site measurement showcases to the participants. The showcases included measurement at the roof top of residential buildings; residential flat close to roof top mobile base station; office area near electricity sub-station; and measurement close to railway facilities. The measured non-ionizing radiation spectrum was then compared with the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) recommended level at different frequencies.
The seminar was very fruitful. During the Q&A session, there were over-whelming responses from the participants who raised questions and concerns on the potential fire risk caused by non-ionizing radiation in gas station and dangerous goods storage area.
(L to R) Dr George Lau (IET-MIES), Mr LAM Wui Ting (HKPC), Ir Ritz Lau (HKIE-MI), Ir Angel Wong (HKPC)
About the Centre
- ► 2020 (1)
- ► 2017 (2)
- ► 2016 (3)
- ► 2015 (8)
- • Lab Test One One Click to access over 100 testing services
- • Report on Lab visit@The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- • Report on Tour to Jockey Club Heavy Vehicle Emissions Testing and Research Centre of Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education cum Research Sharing Session on Environmental-Friendly Vehicles
- • Report on Laboratory Visit at "Radio-frequency Radiation Research Laboratory" and "DNA Authentication Laboratory" of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- • One Click to Access Advanced Testing Services in Hong Kong
- • Launching Ceremony of “Lab Test One in One Click” cum Seminar on “Cutting Edge Testing Technologies to Cope with Challenges in Our Daily Life”
- • Report on the visit to the Standards and Calibration Laboratory
- • Info Talk@TecONE