Report on Lab Visit @The Hong Kong Polytechnic University: Food Safety and Technology Research Centre
Lab Test One organized a lab visit cum seminar in Food Safety and Technology Research Centre (FSTRC) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) on 28 April 2017 (Friday). Through this event, public can get to learn more in-depth information about current food safety problems, professional food safety testing technology and consultancy services.
A group photo of organizers and participants.
Mr. Kong, Associate Consultant of HKPC, delivering an introduction speech on Lab Test One programme.
Ir Angel Wong (Right), Senior Consultant of HKPC, presenting Certificate of Appreciation to FSTRC and Dr Ka-hing Wong (left), Associate Director of FSTRC and Speaker of this seminar for their dedicated effort in organizing the lab visit and seminar.
Dr. Wong introduced the background of FSTRC, its testing and consultancy services offered to public and companies. Projects in promoting nutrition and public health such as establishing the first nutrition database on breast milk and educating local farmers on healthier food production were introduced as well.
Microbial Fermenter System, a typical type of bioreactor that contains and control fermenter microorganisms.
Research team introducing the techniques of Orbitrap Mass Spectrometer coupled with Liquid Chromatography which can be used in food and environmental analysis, protein identification, biomarker discovery, etc.
Taste testing sensory lab. Each candidate will be assigned into a red-lighted room and taste a food sample
Research team then guided the participants to visit the Institute of Food Technology which provides a simulated learning environment of food manufacturing plants for undergraduate students to understand advanced food processing and packaging techniques to ensure a high quality of food safety.
Aluminum foil packaging machine (left) and canning machine (right) are used for potato chips, canned food packaging.
Small-scaled yeast fermentation equipment commonly used in beer brewing factories.
FSTRC aims to become a world-class food safety and food technology authority and offer one-stop services to safeguard public health. Its mission is to be a hub of food safety in Hong Kong and the Mainland through an extensive range of research, consultancy and training programs supported by government grants and funding.
For more details of FSTRC, please visit https://www.labtestone.org/index.php/en/joint-organizations/the-hong-kong-polytechnic-university/fstrc.html
or its official website https://www.polyu.edu.hk/abct/en/research/research_centres/fstrc/introduction/index.html
About the Centre
- ► 2020 (1)
- ► 2017 (2)
- ► 2016 (3)
- ► 2015 (8)
- • Lab Test One One Click to access over 100 testing services
- • Report on Lab visit@The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- • Report on Tour to Jockey Club Heavy Vehicle Emissions Testing and Research Centre of Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education cum Research Sharing Session on Environmental-Friendly Vehicles
- • Report on Laboratory Visit at "Radio-frequency Radiation Research Laboratory" and "DNA Authentication Laboratory" of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- • One Click to Access Advanced Testing Services in Hong Kong
- • Launching Ceremony of “Lab Test One in One Click” cum Seminar on “Cutting Edge Testing Technologies to Cope with Challenges in Our Daily Life”
- • Report on the visit to the Standards and Calibration Laboratory
- • Info Talk@TecONE