Report on Lab Visit @ City University of Hong Kong: Centre for Advanced Structural Materials
Lab Test One organized a lab visit cum seminar in Centre for Advanced Structural Materials (CASM) of City University of Hong Kong (CityU) on 28 Oct 2016 (Friday). The objective of this visit is to provide free opportunity for public to know more about some research and testing services particularly on advanced structural materials. Professor Lu Jian, who is the Vice-President of CityU and the Director of CASM, was invited to present the topic of Advanced Structural Material: Manufacturing, Performance and its Application in the seminar. Later, the lab visit was hosted by Prof Lu and his research team. Various new structural materials, cutting-edge fabricating technologies and high-tech equipment have been introduced to public in this event.
During the seminar session, Prof Lu presented the structural relationship and mechanical properties of coupling multi-physics and multi-scale metals, precious metals and liquid metals. He also talked about his innovative approach of inventing new materials and its manufacturing process an d how the new advanced materials benefit to various industries. With the emerge of new materials, numerous technical concerns can be solved. One particular example of Prof Lu’s studies is his multiple steady state of a single material which can enhance flexibility in mechanical designs and greatly reduce failure risks in operation.
Dr Brian Chan, Consultant of HKPC, delivering an introduction speech on Lab Test One programme.
Ir Angel Wong (left), Senior consultant of HKPC, presenting Certificate of Appreciation to Prof Jian Lu (right), Vice-President of CityU and Director of CASM, for his dedicated effort on this lab visit.
Prof Lu shared his insights and thematic studies on new materials such as Liquidified Metals, Nanoprecipitants and Multi-layer steel sheets, etc.
Prof Lu’s team explaining their research studies on 3D Atom Probe Tomography (APT) for Advanced Materials Research at Atomic- and Nano-scales.
Prof Lu introducing different types of high-tech equipment used in his research studies: Scanning Electronic Microscope, Atomic Form Microscope, Nanoindentor, and Tensile Testing machines.
A group photo of speakers, organizers and participants.
Promotion flyer for this lab visit
Centre for Advanced Structural Materials (CASM) is to develop a research center for materials scientists, mechanics of materials researchers and design/applications engineer to advance fundamentals and technologies in advanced structural materials which will create innovative solutions for different key industrial sectors, such as biomedical, automotive, aerospace, sustainable energy.
For more details of CASM, please visit https://www.labtestone.org/index.php/en/joint-organizations/city-university-of-hong-kong/centre-for-advanced-structural-materials.html or its official website http:/www6.cityu.edu.hk/casm/
- ► 2017 (2)
- ► 2016 (3)
- ► 2015 (8)
- • Lab Test One One Click to access over 100 testing services
- • Report on Lab visit@The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- • Report on Tour to Jockey Club Heavy Vehicle Emissions Testing and Research Centre of Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education cum Research Sharing Session on Environmental-Friendly Vehicles
- • Report on Laboratory Visit at "Radio-frequency Radiation Research Laboratory" and "DNA Authentication Laboratory" of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- • One Click to Access Advanced Testing Services in Hong Kong
- • Launching Ceremony of “Lab Test One in One Click” cum Seminar on “Cutting Edge Testing Technologies to Cope with Challenges in Our Daily Life”
- • Report on the visit to the Standards and Calibration Laboratory
- • Info Talk@TecONE